1. How does an IPSec VPN app help a mobile device for general browsing on the net?
IPSec VPN would make your browsing safer as it “encapsulates” all your communications into an encrypted “tunnel”. Whoever manages to intercept your communications will only have encrypted packages
2. Is there any advantage to using an IPSec VPN on a BlackPhone2? Does a BP2 even need a VPN client?
It would definitively help to have safer communications. Actually, we strongly recommend to use VPN solutions when connected to a non-trusted WiFi (open WiFi, WiFi hotspots managed by non-trusted organization, …) Mobile data connections usually are safe enough to not use a VPN solution but it won’t harm neither.
3. Can the IPSec VPN be configured to be the default connection method on a BP2?
Yes, BP2 includes by default VPN client accessible from Settings->More->VPN. You can configure this client to select a VPN profile to always remain connected to. Network traffic will be allowed only when connected to this VPN.
4. Can you offer any more pertinent information about IPSec VPNs?
As mentioned, there’s no need to install a new VPN client as BP2 includes a VPN client compatible with many different VPN types. To Access this client, the user can go to Settings->More->VPN. If you need more specific information about any specific item, please, let me know.
5. Does Silent Circle provide VPN services?
No. There are many VPN service providers and in most cases a subscription is required. Once that subscription is purchased, you will be provided with account details to input into the native BP2 client.