Blackphone 2 optimizes the baseband radio LTE bands to give you a faster connection by having two versions, one for the Americas and one for the rest of the world. We call the world-wide area Region 1 and the Americas Region 2. Please see the specifications here for details on the 3G and 4G radio band differences. Both will work in both places, but the data connection may be slower, depending on the carrier.
You can tell which version you have by checking either the back of your phone under the brand 'Blackphone':
- Model: BP2B001RW1 (Rest-of-World)
- Model: BP2B001NA1 (North America)
In the same area you can see your device's IMEI:
- Region 1 (world-wide) IMEI begins with 35919506 and LTE bands are 1/3/5/7/8/20/40.
- Region 2 (Americas) IMEI begins with 56919606 and LTE Bands are 4/2/7/17.
Alternatively, you can find your IMEI by dialing *#06# on the regular phone (not Silent Phone) or looking in System Settings > About phone > Status > IMEI information.
If you are about to purchase a Blackphone:
- Please note that due to FCC regulations we are not able to ship Region 1 (world-wide) phones to US addresses!
- If you have doubts which region you need Region 1 (world-wide) and Region 2 (Americas), please check the above differences. Also this link might help you to cross check each region LTE bands with your country and network provider ones: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks
(Disclaimer: this link might not be completely up to date, but should be good in most of the cases. For up to date information please check the website your cell network provider.)